Bloor Street United Church is a United Church of Canada church (William R. Gregg, Architect) located at 300 Bloor Street West in downtown Toronto, near the intersection with Huron Street. It is just north of the University of Toronto, and between the Spadina and St. George Subway Stations.
As with many of the downtown Toronto churches, Bloor United is today noted for its progressivism.
The church has a large choir and a strong music program led by David Passmore. The congregation has a strong commitment to helping refugees, and has a program devoted to helping Latin American refugees become permanent members of Canadian society. In addition, there are groups dedicated to helping grandmothers caring for AIDS orphans in Africa.
|Rear Wall of the Bloor Street United Church|
The children's program includes Sunday school classes for ages 4– 18, with a special tween/teen group called Youth on Bloor.
The church began as a Presbyterian congregation in 1887 to serve the rapidly growing population of then-northern Toronto with the church building opening in 1890. In 1924, the church voted by a substantial majority to join the United Church. Three years later, a portion of the church was demolished when the City decided to widen Bloor Street.
The church grew greatly in size in the 1940s and 1950s as an influx of immigrants arrived in the area. The congregation was so large that on several occasions Massey Hall was rented to hold some services. It was decided to renovate the church, however, in 1954 as these were nearing completion a fire broke out and the church was badly damaged and most of the sanctuary destroyed. Money was quickly raised to rebuild the church and in the interim the congregation met at nearby churches and Convocation Hall.