Protecting against extreme cold weather
Toronto Images giving tips on Protecting against extreme cold weather
by Roberto Machado Noa
Here some measures to protect yourself and others from extreme cold weather, specially if living in a city.
• Dress in layers, making sure your outer layer is windproof, and cover exposed skin.
• Wear a hat, warm mittens or gloves, and warm boots.
• Stay dry. Your risk of hypothermia is much greater if you are wet.
• Choose wool or synthetic fabrics for your clothes instead of cotton, because cotton stops keeping you warm once it gets wet.
|©Roberto Machado (Yelo34)|
• Seek shelter if you normally spend long periods outside. Depending on the wind chill, exposed skin can freeze in minutes.
• Avoid alcohol as it increases blood flow. You may feel warm even though you are losing body heat.
• Consider rescheduling outdoor activities, or limiting time outdoors, especially if it's windy.
• Heat your home to at least 21ºC if babies or elderly people are present.